Thursday, April 2, 2020

BW to color

For this project, I used masking and selection techniques to create 3 different color variations of myself. For colors, I used a color harmony wheel from Adobe.

This project really challenged me to improve my color masking skills. I believe the triad color variation is the most cleanly colored image. However, for the square and compound color variations, I had more difficulty with cleaning up edges to create a polished product.

In terms of selecting areas to color, I found this to work out pretty well. Although not always precise at first, I was able to clean up some big areas with the stroke tool that I would not have been able to do with just a selection tool.

I really enjoyed working with layers for this project. Specifically within the sunglasses, and the nose and mouth. I am pleased with the way the sunglasses have a 3-D pop to them simply from the color variations and the layering of objects. I also really like the way the nose and mouth came out because I was unsure how I was going to distinguish those areas from the rest of the face.

Through the use of various selection tools and coloring tools I was able to create these newly colored images. I would like viewers to take special notice to the triad color variation, as that is my most proud product from this assignment.

Original:
 Black and White:
 Triad:
 Square:
 Compound:










Total hours worked on: 10-15

4 comments:

  1. I like how your colorization gives the photo a creative pop of color. I would suggest adding detail of a reflection in the sunglasses lens for a cool effect. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blake, fantastic work on the BW to color project. I liked that you used this image because there is a lot of depth in the reflection in your sunglasses. That gives us a great look into your perspective while maintaining our own opposite perspective. I'm a big fan of noir and the use of shadows over the lower portion of your face really brings the whole thing together. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this piece that you've created and I think there's a lot of good things going on with the composition that you've got. It's also a super interesting photo with the reflection of the sunglasses similar to Ronan's comment. However, I think it would be cool to see these images with the overlay blending mode on photoshop so much of the original detail would come back to the image. But, great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Max, at the time I did not realize that this piece was supposed to incorporate so much of the original image. However, I really like the way they came out and want to make more edits with 50% opacity instead.

      Delete