Monday, March 16, 2020

Self Portrait

Blake Gottlieb
Self- Portrait Blog

        The basic ideas of this piece were to vectorize the original image. I wanted to create a minimalist design that left the viewer's thoughts up for interpretation.

        The most challenging task in this project was outlining the lips with the pen tool and finding the right color gradients for specific areas. For the lips, I traced the outline and then added some inner shapes as well. I decided to leave them with no fill because it reminded me of street art.

        Some specific color problem areas were the face, neck, and ears. I found it difficult to maintain a constant theme with those areas and feel it does have some room for improvement in that facet.

        The general  concept of the propaganda piece is to think about the whole world (as represented with the various backgrounds) and how your actions have an impact on the future of the world. In a troubled time with the Coronavirus outbreak in 2020, we all must unite to protect our planet earth.

Final product:
Original concept:
Original:

Total hours worked on: 15- 20

4 comments:

  1. I really like the fun colors you chose and the details in the background! My suggestion is to do something a little more attention grabbing with the star and text. I also really like how in the final you put reflections on the glasses, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you did this! I like how you added simple details to make the elements stand out. The triangles in the mountains and waves in the water add a cool effect. One suggestion I have is that it might have been cool if you had added some details from your shirt into your project. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the effort and thought that is noticeable in your self portrait. The blending of the colors alone is very refreshing to see. The detail, especially in the sunglasses, really makes your piece stand out as well. With that said the blending is a little awkward at points but I can tell you worked hard on this project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vreanna, I do agree that the blending is a little rough in some areas. I focused a lot on details in my face, especially my mouth and nose. I'm really happy with the way the sunglasses came out. I thought the lighting technique adds some flare to the image and gives a 3D look.

      Delete